Monday, September 9

Montage Maker interview - Anna of Anna Hadwin Crochet toys

Tell us a bit about yourself
I have been crocheting and knitting since I was 5 years old. We moved from the UK to California and it was a great way to keep me occupied. My baby sister was only 6 weeks old. Moving back to the UK I made my first jumper at 8 years old, and I haven’t stopped crafting since.

What inspires you to create?

The joy of making. My husband (Toby) and daughter (Orlando) are both very artistic and their drawings and doodles supply me with many ideas. I love yarn, and have a “Wool Mountain” at my house.

What materials do you use?

Wool in  acrylic, cotton and specialty yarns.

What’s your number one market tip?

Stay positive and listen to advice from those around you- customers and stallholders. There is a wealth of knowledge out there.

What is your favourite part of the creative process?

Taking time out to plan new designs and seeing them take shape.

What’s been your most popular item or line to date?

Owl, Penguins and my Pirate Bunny. But who wouldn’t love a Pirate Bunny??

What is the most exciting thing that has come out of selling your designs through Montage?

Knowing that my products make people happy. I have many repeat customers and am now wholesaling.

What advice would you give someone who wants to sell their crafts

You might need to compromise with your product. I started out selling baby/children’s knitwear. But in our climate it was just too hard. So I thought toys and hats and home wares was a better choice.

CONTACT
www.annahadwincrochettoys.blogspot.com
www.facebook.com/AnnasCrochetToys